We had 76 lovely people come out in the cold rain for this month’s meeting!
As this meeting grows, please be respectful of the neighbors, use public parking and avoid on-street parking in the neighborhood. Ride your bike when possible!!!
TRAILS REPORT + THE WEATHER
- It rains. And rains. And rains. Please stick to the usual wet weather riding spots.. and don’t forget Norris!
- Russ Manning filled in for Dave Stanley to report the weather. We’ve had 11 inches of rain in the month of February. BUT we’ve only averaged 4.5 inches in March for the last three years. Fingers crossed for better riding weather ahead!
- In #yearroundgetdown news – the best place to park is still at Baker Creek, then ride in on Red Bud Crest. There are three parking spots on Sevierville Pike at the Marie Meyers entrance as well. We are working on fixing the problem spots to make dry access easier.
The City is working on new trail maps (we build trail faster than they can make maps) but club member Vinny has been working hard to get the trails (especially YRGD) uploaded to Trailforks & MTB Project.
INTRODUCING MR. MATTHEW KELLOGG AS THE NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (and MC for this meeting WITH a new PA)!
WORK PARTY RECAPS
- February 8th at Meads Quarry – 33 awesome people showed up to work! Cycology Bicycles fixed an excellent meal, kept the fire pits going and gave a gift card to every volunteer! Lipman Brothers kicked in cold beers! We worked on moving LOTS (10 tons) of gravel to Hickory and Flow trails. We’ll be working on new bridges on Hickory in the near future
- February 22nd at IC King – The City Mayor was there! It was an accident but she gave the crew of 52 (!) volunteers a pep talk before she headed out for her run. We worked on trail at the east entrance. The county has approved more trail in the east side of the park and that should get going in the next 6-8 months. Hi-Wire Brewing + Tennessee Valley Bikes crushed lunch!
- Hi-Wire Brewing Knoxville is in as our beer sponsor for the rest of the work party season!!! WOOP!
BEER COLLABORATION WITH Elkmont Exchange
You heard that right – we are getting an AMBC beer! It will be an easy drinking pilsner, around 4.6-4.8% ABV, in tallboy cans and kegs, to be distributed around town. Keep your eyes peeled, they start brewing next Tuesday! BIG THANK YOU TO CLUB MEMBER JEREMY WALKER FOR KEEPING US IN BEER!
APPALACHIAN YOUTH CYCLING
Ryan Leach reports that they can always still use volunteers and that they are working on getting information on the website and a better calendar so stay tuned.
FUN THINGS TO PUT ON YOUR CALENDAR
- March 1st (THIS Sunday) – “Trés Amigos!” the SoKno Taco 3rd Anniversary Celebration to benefit AMBC! Bike scavenger hunt entry is $25 and that get’s you a full day of fun, race t-shirt, one Oscar Blues cold beer + dinner! Registration is behind the restaurant (please park at Baker Creek) from 11-12:45PM and the race is from 1-5PM and the winners will take home some sweet prizes.
- March 7th – Urban Wilderness Work Party! sponsored by Audi of Knoxvilleand the new all new Audi Q3.
- March 4-8 – TENNESSEE NATIONAL BIKE FESTIVAL at Windrock Bike Parkincluding Round 1 of the US Pro Gravity Tour (!!!), Continental Enduro World Series, Youth Downhill, and Best Whip! They are looking for volunteers and will trade park passes for your service.
- March 14th – 15th Banff Film Festival
- March 22nd – Joy Ride Loyston-Spring Ride & Potluck They’d love to have some volunteers and are planning on an E-bike ride!
- March 23rd – AMBC Monthly Meeting
- March 29th – Knoxville Marathon Water Stop (stay tuned for more info on facebook)! Bring your bells! We have won best water stop for the past few years and we don’t plan on giving up our title!
- March 29th – The Waucheesi Bike Race by Rapid Expeditions
- BIG FUN TUESDAYS! We are going to #bringtuesdaysback starting in May! Stay tuned for updates about food, music, beer and more!
LIMITED EDITION TRANSFARM T-SHIRTS
Are available at REI (6700 Papermill Drive, Knoxville, TN) WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!