We need your help to keep our trail networks in great shape. Join us this weekend for a small project sponsored by Audi Knoxville! See below for more information and to register for the projects.
Saturday 3/27 from 9-12
Sunday 3/28 from 9-12
Sharps Ridge Treadwork – Register
Congratulation to the WINNERS of the Spring Checkpoint!!!
Thanks to all who participated in the event – both participants and the sponsors! We’ll see you in the Fall for another Checkpoint!
January 2021!!! WELCOME
1st and foremost it’s President Donovan’s 1st meeting AND her Birthday!!!
Side note, it’s also past AMBC President Brian Hanns Birthday!!!
Trail conditions are typical for East TN this time of the year! Wet and variable
Wet Weather Reminders: Great options include: Baker Creek Bike Park, Marie Myers via Redbud Crest, Sharps Ridge, Loyston, Norris, and Big South Fork.
Take a look at our website for trail conditions!
Dave Stanley reported that we’re drier than usual but that the cycle of precipitation has timed itself perfectly to be continually soggy. Be mindful of your trail choices!
The Knoxville Track Club presented the club with a check for $3046.75!!!
KTC Longtime partners, presented a check from part of their proceeds from their popular Trail Running Series!
Remember – trails have many users! Runners, walkers, even a few riders – use the trails with respect for all!
Work Project Recaps:
Independent Workdays and Small Projects
- Randy Conner with Contour Trail Design and AMBC tackled “The Tree”
- Alex with Knoxville Outdoor Tours cleared a number of Snags in south Knoxville
- Bentley Brackett with Elemental Design Co. also cleared a few snags
- AMBC Staff builder Dave Williams has been busy on the top of Red Bud Crest!
- Vinnie has put in some hour at Lippincott
- Tony worked on trails out at Concord – Thanks for all the hard work!
Small Groups : Small projects — All limited to 10 folks / project Signup are live on our events calendar.
- This Saturday 1/30 9-noon 2 options
- Burnett Creek Road Trash Cleanup
- Mayor Hot Tub trail work (hand building singletrack)
- Not us but lend a hand CVTA Norris work day 10-1 check their site.
- AMBC will present at PechaKucha 11th live from the Bijou. The format is 20 slides shown for 20 seconds each, should be lively, wish Kellogg some luck.
- Leslie King with Catalyst Sports reported on their aMTB (adaptive) training March 27-28
- Trail Counter Updates
- Direct Observation Training – March 27th or 28th (2 Hour Training outdoors) Going to need 16 folks! We’ll launch a Golden Volunteer event for this. UTK will have around 40 folks helping.
- Talking with Albright Grove about some beer – stay tuned
- Brian Hann with the Trail Committee will be recruiting Trail Crew Leaders for the 2021 trail building and maintaining season – again – stay tuned
- We’re now webcasting the meetings to YouTube and with some luck we may add a Zoom meeting component.
See you for the next meeting February 22nd 2021
Looks like a group hit North Dakota (Maah Daah Hey Trail) and Duluth, MN. Some of you will remember that we competed against Duluth in the Bell Built Grant. The trails were super impressive and close in to the city. Would absolutely recommend a visit.
Dave Stanley, looking like a mountain man and reporting in: We have an additional 3” of recent rain and things are WET. In comparison last September has almost zero precipitation. We are now looking at a solid #2 spot for the wettest year recorded!
Dave has recently been to Bentonville, Arkansas and said it’s exactly as you’ve heard – “Disneyland for bikes” with a surprisingly good art scene.
Kellogg says it’s halfway to Colorado and worth the trip!
- SO many – 8 snags in concord alone.
- Treadwork at Lippincott – yay Vinnie!!!
- Dave Williams has been working on Barn Burner, Cruze Valley Run, Floyd Fox and we’ve had quite a few small groups out working on various things at Baker Creek.
- Let us know if you want to take on a specific project and keep the trail reports coming! firstname.lastname@example.org (Location and photo please!)
- The Baker Creek Bike Park grand opening was a hit! We had good turn out and super shredder, Mayor Kincannon, had some good riding and life wisdom for the crowd. BIG THANKS to the City and County for all of the hard work!
- Saturday October 3rd is Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day! There aren’t any organized events this year but that shouldn’t stop you from getting out there!
- Knoxville Adventure Collective has a fun event coming up – Maskerade Adventure Race October 1-8th
- Log your miles for the Norris Dam 84 Mile Challenge – on horse! on foot! on your bike!
- Everyone’s favorite 12 hour race has been postponed . Check in withCVTA for updates on the Hill of Truth.
- Speaking of CVTA – The Dirt Lab grand opening is October 9th!
- The No Business 100 is October 16th Big South Fork / Picket State Park and they could us some volunteers!
- VOTE! October 5th is the registration deadline and early voting begins on October 14th in Knox county.
OTHER RANDOM THINGS
- The Knoxville Regional TPO is working to create a long-term vision for the transportation system in our region and they could use your input.
- Memberships continue to roll in! Thanks to you all who’ve checked your status and re-upped. We are 50% above last year!
- Jeremy Walker’s eagle scout project was growing pumpkins and he harkened back to those fun days to create the first AMBC Pumpkin Sale! Thanks to Sokno Taco for letting us use their yard. We sold out and raised some money for trails! Look for us next year with MORE BIGGER PUMPKINS!
- SUPER RAD bike raffle with Harper’s Bike Shop!
- FRESH merchandise at an in-store booth at REI! Want to VOLUNTEER??? Sign up here!
- EPIC silent auction (send items to email@example.com)!
- FUN checkpoint ride organized by Dirty Bird Events!
AND THE BIGGEST NEWS OF ALL!
Matthew and Ellen Kellogg have a tiny mountain biker brewing! The wee future shredder is due in November! BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Thanks for tuning in, folks! We’ll be back again next month to do it all again!